In episode #10 of the Victory Over Injury Podcast presented by Andrews Sports Medicine, Dr. Michael K. Ryan takes a special deep dive into the life, career and experience of Hunter Kemper, Olympian, National Elite Champion and World Champion.
Hunter Kemper, a 4-time Olympian and 7-time U.S. Elite National Champion, is the most decorated U.S. triathlete in history. A 4-time member of the USA Olympic triathlon team, he is one of only two men in the world to qualify for every Olympic triathlon (2000, 2002, 2008 and 2012).
Dr. Ryan and Hunter get into what drives Kemper's training, his mental and physical endurance and the challenges he faced competing in the Olympics.
Be sure to follow "Victory Over Injury" wherever you listen to podcasts.
A special thank you to our producer, Ed Hill, and our intern, James Harris, UAB School of Medicine (Class of 2023) for helping make this podcast series possible.
- 00:03:30 – Mental aspect of training for the Olympics
- 00:06:50 – 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- 00:11:20 – Sport of triathlon debuts at 2000 Sydney Olympics
- 00:13:30 – Importance of kids playing multiple sports
- 00:17:10 – Fear of missing out - youth sports
- 00:19:10 – Wake Forest student-athlete
- 00:21:30 – Successful transition from amateur to pro athlete
- 00:27:30 – Emotions of competing in first Olympic games
- 00:31:40 – U.S.O.P.C. - assistance for retiring athletes
- 00:35:22 – Career injuries
- 00:41:50 – What makes a great sports medicine team?
- 00:43:40 – Emotional battle of overcoming injuries
- 00:46:07 – Prehab for injury prevention
- 00:47:10 – Acute injury vs. overuse injury
- 00:48:48 – Confidence in overcoming injuries
- 00:51:54 – #1 male triathlete in the world (2005)
- 00:52:45 – Importance of nutrition & hydration
- 00:55:42 – Control & maximizing potential
- 00:57:00 – U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Training Center
- 00:59:18 – High-altitude training
- 01:00:00 – Live high, train low
- 01:01:35 – Acclimate for competition
- 01:02:38 – Career highlight
- 01:04:00 – Love what you do
- 01:05:29 – Retirement - mentorship & coaching
- 01:11:00 – Why do triathletes shave their legs?
- 01:12:40 – Favorite pre- & post-race meals
- 01:14:00 – Philosophy of life