American Sports Medicine Institute is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit sports medicine research and education foundation located at Ascension St. Vincent’s Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama. ASMI was founded in 1987 by renowned orthopaedic surgeon Dr. James R. Andrews.
For the the past 36 years, ASMI has been one the premiere driving forces of sports medicine research & education initiatives, working hand-in-hand with the doctors and clinical staff at Andrews Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center, as well as other collaborators in the United States and around world, to conduct cutting-edge sports medicine research.
The mission of ASMI is to improve the understanding, prevention and treatment of sports-related injuries through research and education.
The Institute features a state-of-the-art biomechanics laboratory, a sports medicine library, and a skills lab for arthroscopic training and cadaveric research. ASMI is the nation’s largest accredited educator of sports medicine physicians with graduates located in forty-four states, Puerto Rico, and ten foreign countries.
- Provide advanced training in sports medicine and orthopaedics by means of fellowships for physicians and other medical specialists who treat patients with sports and recreation-related injuries and musculoskeletal problems.
- Conduct aggressive biomechanical and clinical research in sports medicine/orthopaedics and expand the base of knowledge to treat and prevent musculoskeletal injuries and re-injuries.
- Work with large numbers of athletic teams from youth leagues through professional levels.
- Capture significant, useful information from injured patients who come to the hospital, clinic and rehabilitation facilities for diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation.
- Provide medical and paramedical coverage for many teams in contact sports throughout their seasons.
ASMI'S COMMUNITY IMPACT
American Sports Medicine Institute provides resources to the company that impact players and coaches in a variety of ways. Click any link below to find out more.
- Position Statement in Tommy John Injuries in Baseball Pitchers
- Position Statement for Adolescent Baseball Pitchers
- Example Limits for Number of Pitches Thrown in Games
- UCL Surgeries on Adolescent Baseball Pitchers
- Resources & Medical Information