BIOGRAPHYRicardo E. Colberg, MD is a sports medicine and non-surgical orthopaedic physician at Andrews Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center. He is also a Diplomate of the American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation and Registered Musculoskeletal Sonographer.
Dr. Colberg has a strong commitment to providing evidenced-based medical care through a patient-centered and holistic approach. When defining the best treatment plan for each patient, he takes into consideration all the components related to the injury, including factors such as the underlying biomechanics of the injury, the patient's needs and expectations, as well as the short and long-term implications that the injury will have on the patient. He works closely with physical therapists and other health-related disciplines in order to assist patients in their recovery process from injuries and help them reach their ultimate goal of returning to their everyday activities and sports at their optimal potential.
Dr. Colberg has a special interest in treating acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries, including bone, joint, ligament, muscle and tendon injuries. He performs various treatment modalities in the clinic that assist the patient in their recovery from the injury, among them diagnostic musculoskeletal sonography, ultrasound-guided injections, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy, percutaneous trigger finger release and topaz procedure for plantar fasciitis.
His areas of expertise also include non-surgical management of fractures and dislocations, peripheral nerve injuries (e.g. carpal tunnel syndrome), sport-related spine injuries, pediatric sports injuries, biomechanical evaluation of the injured athlete, implementing sports injury prevention protocols, management of osteoarthritis and screening for potential cases that may have a better outcome by undergoing a surgical procedure.
Dr. Colberg is Medical Director for the Jacksonville State University Gamecocks, and Head Team Physician for the Birmingham Blaze semi-pro football team, Birmingham Hammers semi-pro soccer team, Helena High School, Lawson State Community College, and Alabama Soccer Association's Olympic Development Program (ODP). He has also worked as team physician for the U.S.A. Paralympic Team at the Lakeshore Foundation, Birmingham Barons, Alabama Ballet, University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, and University of West Alabama.
Dr. Colberg is an avid tennis player who competes with a local USTA team in Birmingham. He has earned the certification of Elite Professional from the United States Professional Tennis Association and has helped develop injury prevention protocols for tennis athletes through the American Sports Medicine Institute (AMSI). He also has extensive clinical research experience, including co-leading a national multi-center study on platelet-rich plasma injection. He has published articles in multiple journals and authored chapters in academic textbooks.
Dr. Colberg enjoys spending time with his wife and family and teaching their children to play tennis and other sports. Their favorite pastime is visiting their native island of Puerto Rico, where he likes to go surfing, sailing and scuba diving. In addition, he enjoys mountain biking and is a member of the International Bicycling Association (IMBA, BUMP). He is fluent in both Spanish and English.
Commonly Performed Procedures:
- Musculoskeletal injections (e.g. joints, bursas, tendons, etc.)
- Peripheral nerve injections
- Trigger-point injections of muscle spasms
- Regenerative medicine procedures including platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections
- Bone marrow concentrate therapy
- Ultrasound-guided injections
- Ultrasound-guided, percutaneous trigger finger release (no incision required)
- Partial plantar fascia release with Topaz microdebrider
- Diagnostic musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Non-operative orthopedic procedures (i.e. closed fracture reductions, casting of fractured extremities)
- Compartment testing
- Pre-participation physical examinations
- Evaluation for orthotic devices, including splints, braces and shoe inserts.
Education, Training & Awards ...
Education & Training
- University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA)
Bachelor of Arts - Major in Cultural Anthropology
- University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine (San Juan, Puerto Rico)
Doctor of Medicine - Magna cum Laude and 2008 Award for Outstanding Leadership
- Emory University (Atlanta, GA) - 2012
Specialty: Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- American Sports Medicine Institute (ASMI), Birmingham, AL - 2013
Sub-specialty: Primary Care Sports Medicine
- American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Specialty: Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Sub-specialty: Sports Medicine
- American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Sub-specialty: Registered Musculoskeletal Sonographer
Honors & Awards
- Resident of the Year Award 2011 and 2012
- Academic Chief Resident