Andrew M. Cordover, MD, MS graduated from Tulane University in New Orleans, La., with a bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering. He attended medical school at Tulane, where he concurrently obtained a Masters of Science in Biomedical Engineering.
Dr. Cordover completed his Surgery Internship & Orthopaedic Residency in Philadelphia, Pa. From there he attended Duke University in Durham, N.C., and completed a fellowship in spine surgery. He trained with both the Orthopaedic and Neurosurgery departments.
In 1997, he moved to Birmingham to pursue a career in orthopaedic surgery. He was in practice for 12 years prior to merging his practice with Andrews Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center. His practice emphasis is Spine Surgery. His specialties include: sports-related spine injuries, complex spine pathologies, tumors, trauma, previously-failed spine surgeries, and revision surgeries of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine.
His academic accomplishments include several academic scholarships and Honor societies. Dr. Cordover has published in peer reviewed journals and presented papers at national and international meetings. He has been on faculty for several companies and institutions teaching other surgeons the newest techniques. He has also been on advisory committees for companies and developed a spinal implant and surgical instruments himself.
Dr. Cordover is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, North American Spine Society, and other numerous professional societies. He has participated in competitive running, soccer, and pole vaulted. His current interests include: mountain biking, dirt biking, skiing, and other adventure sports. Dr. Cordover and his wife, Jennifer, have 3 boys with varied interests in sports and academics.
Spine Surgery - Duke University (Durham, NC)
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency:
Orthopedic Surgery - Hahnemann University (Philadelphia, PA)
Tulane University School of Engineering - MD (New Orleans, LA)
Tulane University School of Engineering - Master of Science - Biomedical Engineering (New Orleans, LA)
Tulane University School of Engineering - BSE Biomedical Engineering (New Orleans, LA)
I had a deterioration of my vertebrae in my lumbar spine. The deterioration started in 2013 and the pain was unbearable. I couldn’t perform simple day-to-day activities. In 2016, I saw Dr. Andrew Cordover and he did my L4/L5 surgical fusion. Dr. Cordover was wonderful! He is one of the best surgeons I have seen. He is not only great in a surgical setting but he has a great bedside manner. I didn’t feel like just another patient or “number.”
Paulette Hunt | Birmingham, AL
The recovery process and life since my surgery has been wonderful. It has been a complete 180 from where I was. I was extremely hesitant about having another surgery but once I did it, I knew it was the right decision. I feel so much better and if I had to have another surgery, I would do it again. Dr. Cordover truly helped me. I can now do a lot of things I couldn’t do. I can cook in the kitchen, stand, and walk again. I have an Apple watch and I can complete all of my daily goals which I couldn’t do before.
Amy Tascarella | Southside, AL
My entire experience, from my initial office visit, surgery and post-op appointments were first class. I never felt like I was pressured to have surgery. I knew I needed surgery after Dr. Andrew Cordover vividly explained my situation and treatment options during my initial visit.
Andrew Hopkins | Auburn, AL
I researched online and discovered Dr. Andrew Cordover on the Andrews Sports Medicine website. I read each and every one of his patient reviews and they all basically said the same thing - that Dr. Cordover "changed their life" or "gave them their life back." After much prayer, I knew he was the one.
Barbara Justice | Dora, AL
From the minute I spoke with an Andrews Sports Medicine staff member on the phone to my interaction with all staff members in the office, everyone was very courteous and concerned for me about my issue. During my first office visit, Dr. Andrew Cordover came into the exam room, and with his sense of humor, we hit it off from the get go. Dr. Cordover examined me, took x-rays, and showed them to me explaining what exactly was going on with me.
Edward Cheshire | Dothan, AL
- Chief of Orthopaedic Surgery Department, St. Vincents Hospital, Birmingham
- North American Spine Society. Investment Committee.
- St. Vincent’s/ Ascension Co-management Board Member. Chief of Financial Committee.
- Andrews Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center. Investment Committee.
- Ascension Affinity Spine Group Member.
- North American Spine Society. Faculty, Panel Expert and presenter, Sports/Spine Symposium. Spine Across the Sea meeting.
- American Sports Medicine Institute. Clinical Instructor, Fellowship Program.
- American Sports Medicine Institute. Lecturer
- American Sports Medicine Institute, Faculty. Annual meeting. Spondylolisthesis: Current Concepts, Surgical Options.
- Consultant for Minimally Invasive Lumbar Fusion, Stryker Spine.
- Consultant for design, production, and marketing of Lumbar Interbody Spacer device and Surgical Instruments, Osprey Medical.
- Consultant for Dynamic Stabilization.
- AO North America, faculty, Comprehensive Spine Course, Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Medical Executive Committee Member, Trinity Hospital, Birmingham, Alabama
- AO Spine Faculty, AO North America
- Orthopaedic Specialists of Alabama-Executive Committee.
- AO North America, faculty, Principles of Spinal Disorders for Operation Personnel, Destin, Florida.
- Minimal Access Spinal Technologies (MAST), faculty, Medtronic Medical Education Institute, Memphis, Tennessee.
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery Bioskills Course faculty, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina.
- Physicians Leadership Group, Trinity Hospital, Birmingham, Alabama.
- Nursing Leadership Group, Triad Hospital System, Trinity Hospital, Birmingham, Alabama.
- Baptist Health Systems Residency Program, Faculty Instructor
Leadership in Athletics
- Auburn University Athletics, Spine Surgery Consultant.
- Troy University Athletics, Spine Surgery Consultant.
- Jacksonville State University Athletics, Spine Surgery Consultant.
- Samford University Athletics, Spine Surgery Consultant.
- Birmingham Southern Athletics, Spine Surgery Consultant.