At The Hip Center at Andrews Sports Medicine, our team is a strong advocate for the “comprehensive hip care” concept, treating men and women of all ages, suffering with a broad range of hip conditions that can occur at any stage of life.
Our approach to treating hip disease recognizes the wide variety of disorders, the diverse patient population afflicted with these disorders and the full spectrum of contemporary treatment options.
Our #1 priority is to establish an accurate diagnosis and to develop an individualized treatment plan, in which the recommendations are customized to the diagnosis and specific needs of each patient.
Our extremely experienced team has the expertise to accurately diagnose and deliver the full spectrum of both non-surgical and surgical solutions for hip injuries, disorders, and chronic/advanced disease.
Our center classifies hip disorders into two categories:
1. Non-Arthritic Hip Disorders/Hip Preservation - Generally soft tissue injuries or conditions that can be caused by acute events or chronic/repetitive injuries.
Benton A. Emblom, MD – Orthopaedic surgeon specializing in non-arthritic hip disorders/hip preservation procedures
Michael K. Ryan, MD – Orthopaedic surgeon specializing in non-arthritic hip disorders/hip preservation procedures
Non-Arthritic Hip Conditions & Injuries:
- Avascular Necrosis (Osteonecrosis) of the Hip
- Bursitis of the Hip (Trochanteric Bursitis)
- Femoroacetabular Impingement (FAI)
- Hip Dysplasia
- Hip Impingement
- Labral Tear of the Hip
- Piriformis Syndrome
- Snapping Hip
- Sports Hernia
Non-Arthritic Hip Treatment Solutions:
- Physical Therapy
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP Therapy)
- Hip Arthroscopy Surgery
- Periacetabular Osteotomy (PAO)
- Sports Hernia Surgery
2. Arthritic Hip Disorders - There are many types of arthritis, but osteoarthritis is the most common. Also known as degenerative joint disease or age-related arthritis, osteoarthritis is more likely to develop as people get older. Osteoarthritis occurs when inflammation and injury to a joint cause a breaking down of cartilage tissue.
Jeffrey C. Davis, MD – Orthopaedic surgeon specializing in hip resurfacing/replacement
James A. Flanagan, Jr., MD – Orthopaedic surgeon specializing in hip replacement
K. David Moore, MD – Orthopaedic surgeon specializing in hip replacement
Arthritic Treatment Solutions:
- Hip Resurfacing Surgery
- Hip Replacement Surgery
Andrews Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center is the first orthopaedic practice in Birmingham, AL to offer robotic-arm assisted total knee, partial knee and total hip replacements with Stryker’s Mako System. This highly-advanced, robotic technology transforms the way joint replacement surgery is performed, enabling surgeons to have a more predictable surgical experience with increased accuracy.
If you’ve recently suffered a hip injury or are living with chronic hip pain, call us at (205) 939-3699 to request an appointment or Find A Physician
Andrews Sports Medicine & Orthopaedic Center offers care by some of the leading orthopaedic hip specialists in AL.